After the success of the 2023 Space Generation Congress (SGC) held in Baku, Azerbaijan, SGAC is beginning preparations for SGC 2024 taking place in Milan, Italy! SGAC is looking for a highly motivated young space leader to join SGAC as the Deputy Manager for next year’s event!
Deadline for applications: Extended 30 November 2023, 23:59 (GMT)
About the 22nd Space Generation Congress (SGC)
The 22nd SGC will take place in Milan, Italy, from 10th to 12th October 2024, in conjunction with the 75th International Astronautical Congress (IAC).
This event is SGAC’s flagship event in any given year. Taking place in Milan in 2023, the event will showcase SGAC’s global footprint and highlight all the values SGAC stands for. The Manager and Deputy Manager will work alongside the SGAC Executive Director and the SGC2024 Organising Team.
SGC 2024 Deputy Manager Responsibilities
The SGC 2024 Deputy Manager will work alongside the SGC 2024 Manager in the preparation of the logistics, programming, communications and overall management of the Space Generation Congress. This role includes overseeing the development of the event, helping to coordinate the organizing team, and proactively working towards delivering a successful Space Generation Congress.
The SGC Deputy Manager is responsible for the implementation of the SGC and IAC 2024 programme and carries the following tasks and expectations:
- Support the SGC 2024 Manager with preparatory activities including program preparation, communications, scheduling, budgeting, and contact with SGAC supporters, etc;
- Participation in weekly meetings with the SGC Organising team and execution of action items resulting from meetings;
- Assistance in the coordination of the SGC Local Organising Committee (LOC) activities;
- Preparation of the SGAC program for IAC 2024, including SGAC’s workshops and activities at the IAC booth.
- Delivering the event in Milan with very active in-person presence for the entire week of the event as well as in-person presence at the IAC 2024.
The SGC 2024 Deputy Manager will report to the SGC 2024 Congress Manager and work closely with the SGAC Executive Director and SGAC Chairs. The SGC 2024 Deputy Manager will become part of the SGAC Executive Committee (as an appointed member).
Upon successful performance in this role, as assessed by the SGAC Executive Director and Chairs, the SGC 2024 Deputy Manager may be promoted to become the SGC 2025 Manager at the conclusion of the 2024 event. The SGC 2025 will be held in Sydney, Australia.
Estimated time commitment: 15 hours a week + 3 days of the SGC 2024 + 5 days of the IAC 2024. The amount of time this role consumes will increase as the event approaches
- SGAC membership: registration on the SGAC website and between 18 and 35 years old by the end of SGC 2024 and IAC 2024 (November 39th, 2023). The age limit is calculated from the 18th birthday to the 36th birthday of the applicant;
- Ability to work in a fast paced, quick turnaround international environment and meet deadlines without compromising the quality of work;
- Experience/familiarity with the space sector;
- Teamwork capacity and proven leadership skills. Extensive experience working with volunteers is desirable;
- Strong working knowledge of computer applications, such as the Google Suite (including Google Docs, Slides, Sheets, etc), and Microsoft Word, PowerPoint, Excel, and Canva as well as collaborating tools such as Slack, Zoom, and Teams.;
- Professional Fluency (Speaking, Reading, and Writing) in English;
- Awareness of international cooperation principles, concepts and techniques;
- Cross Cultural and Communication Awareness: Ability to establish and maintain professional working relationships with people from various international and cultural backgrounds;
- Demonstrated previous event management experience is highly desirable as well as experience with SGAC events.
- Previous experience in fundraising and business development are a relevant plus;
Web, Social Media and Media Design skills are a plus;
- Knowledge of Italian is a plus (Speaking, Reading, and Writing).
The successful applicant will receive the following:
- Registration fees for SGC
- Partial compensation for flights and accommodation for SGC 2024 and SGC 2025 in the form of an SGAC travel grant
- Please read the SGAC Travel Policy for Event Managers for more details regarding compensation and how reimbursements will be processed.
This is your opportunity to help lead the most important student and YP focused event in the space sector, interact directly with some of today’s top leaders in the industry, work with the next generation of space leaders from around the globe and take part in the advancement of space science and policy discussions with space agencies, industry and academia.
How to Apply
To apply for this position, please complete our Vacancy Application Form by Extended 30 November 2023 at 11:59 GMT with the following documents as attachments:
- A Letter of Intent describing why you want to work in this position (maximum 1 page)
- Your CV (maximum 2 pages)
- Description of three past experiences and how they have prepared you for this role (maximum 1 page, separate and complementary to the Letter of Intent)
- Recommendations letters are a plus
Only complete applications will be considered.
Timeline for applications
|Applications close:||November 30th, 2023 – 23:59 GMT|
|Review of applications:||November 30th – December 5th, 2023|
|Online interviews for shortlisted candidates:||Early December 2023|
|Announcement of successful applicants:||Mid- December 2023|
More information about the Space Generation Congress:
The Space Generation Congress (SGC) is SGAC’s annual conference that brings together top young minds from around the world to focus on key space topics. The Congress takes place in conjunction with the International Astronautical Congress, and will be held from 28 – 30 September 2023 in Baku, Azerbaijan. Participants are top university students and young professionals with a passion for space who are selected from among applicants from our Space Generation international network. With SGC, SGAC aims to hone and promote the voice of the next generation of space sector leaders on the topic of international space development. SGC is proudly endorsed by the United Nations Office of Outer Space Affairs.