The Global Grants Programme facilitates the attendance of five delegates who bring unique and insightful firsthand perspectives to the Space Generation Fusion Forum. This is accomplished through awarding grants to selected applicants that will provide support to attend the 9th Space Generation Fusion Forum 21-23 August, 2021 and 36th Space Symposium 23-26 August, 2021 held in Colorado Springs, USA.
The winners will receive an award in order to attend the following events:
The programme will cover the majority of round trip travel costs to Colorado Springs via economy airfare, lodging at the official SGFF hotel, visa costs, and the registration fees for both events. The exact amount of the travel grant dedicated to each winner will be communicated to the winners in their acceptance email. In total, USD 10,000 will be split between the five winners. The winners will be presented with a certificate of award during the Space Generation Fusion Forum, and will have the chance to be highlighted during the Space Symposium.
How to Apply?
Applications to the global grants are accepted as part of the SGFF delegate applications. To apply, please submit an SGFF delegate application and select the option to be considered for the Global Grants Programme. You will be asked to provide additional information listed below on the next page of the application:
- Please describe your contributions to SGAC (maximum 250 words)
- Please describe any other contributions to the space sector (maximum 250 words)
- Why should you be selected for the 2021 Space Generation Fusion Forum Global Grants programme? (maximum 250 words)
A copy of your CV with date of birth and headshot photo will also be requested.
- The scholarship is open for all students and young professionals from any UN Member or observer State. Participants must be eligible SGAC members (registered on the SGAC website) between the age of 18 and 35 years as of the 21st of August, 2021.
- This year, we will also be accepting applications from US residents.
- To be eligible, applicants should have had at least some past contributions to SGAC, as volunteers, or attending SGAC events.
- Competition judges and organisers are ineligible for the award.
- Past winners of the Space Generation Leadership Award or the Global Grants Programme are ineligible for this award.
In the interest of spreading opportunities to more members, SGAC reserves the right to prioritise applicants who have not recently received another SGAC scholarship of a similar nature. “Recently” is defined as having received a travel grant in the past 2 years, in the same category (either international or regional/national) as this posted award. International awards include scholarships for international events such as SGC/IAC, SGFF and Space Symposium, while regional/national awards refer to events, such as the Space Generation Workshops (SGW), national space generation events (SG[country]) or other regional or national conferences. In the event that the SGFF 2021 is forced to be held online due to the COVID-19 pandemic, this scholarship will not be counted as an international travel grant, and winners are eligible to apply for another travel grant in the next 2 years.
- The language of all submissions must be English.
- Applicants will submit their application through the Space Generation Fusion Forum delegate application form, released on the 15th of March, 2021. Please select “Yes” when answering “Would you like to apply to the Global Grants Programme”.
- CVs will be uploaded to our application form. Format should be PDF or DOCX and should be no larger than 10Mb.
- All submissions must be made by 6th of May 2021, 23:59 MST (UTC-7). Any submissions after the deadline will not be considered.
Responsibilities of the winner
- The winners will be responsible for assisting with the running of the Space Generation Fusion Forum if necessary, acting as rapporteur for their discussion group, assisting with the compilation of the SGFF final report, and attending the Space Symposium.
- Winners will be asked to write a short report describing their experience at the SGFF and Space Symposium, which might be showcased on the SGAC newsletter, social media or website.
- The award will be paid out after the symposium, and upon fulfilment of all requirements in a suitable manner as determined by the scholarship coordinators, including any report submissions and submissions of expense claims. It will be paid out no later than 30 days after fulfilment of all responsibilities
- If applicants receive funding for SGFF 2021 and/or the Space Symposium 2021 from any other organisation, the Scholarships Coordinators must be informed. If applicants do not inform the Scholarships Coordinators, SGAC reserves the right to not reimburse the applicants in the event they become winners. SGAC aims to reduce the number of double scholarships and will work with the winners to develop a solution in these cases.
- Applicants are advised to not incur any expenses until they have formal confirmation that the grant has been awarded. The SGAC is not liable for any expenses incurred by applicants in any case where a competition is not awarded, or in excess of the value of the awarded grant.
Copyright and Intellectual Property
- By submitting an entry, applicants agree to permit SGAC to mention their names, affiliations, and headshot picture in connection with the scholarship.
- Organisers shall not be responsible in the event that SGFF 2021 and/or Space Symposium is cancelled. SGAC will not reimburse the winners, even if he/she has already incurred expenses.
- SGAC shall not be responsible in the event that the award winner fails to attend the Space Generation Fusion Forum and/or the Space Symposium; in that case the award offer shall become void.
- SGAC shall not be responsible in the event that the award winner is not able to obtain the necessary travel documents to attend the events; if they are required but not obtained, the award offer shall become void.
- The award is not transferable to another event or individual.
Evaluation and Selection Criteria
Applications will be evaluated by a panel comprised of SGAC Chairs, Executive Director, Scholarship Team Members and the SGFF Manager and Deputy Manager.
The evaluation will be made based on the following criteria:
- Contributions to SGAC and willingness/intention to continue contributing (30%)
- Contribution to space community – research, help to other students/YPs, involvement in other space organisations etc. (30%)
- What they expect to learn/achieve during the event – engage with the international space community, interest to learn more, presentation at other conferences and/or evidence on how they would raise awareness about SGAC after their award (10%)
- Potential contributions to the event based on background (20%)
- Access to other support programs (10%)
We look forward to your contribution and thank you for taking part in this space endeavor!
|Entries accepted||15 March 2021|
|Submission deadline||6 May 2021 – 23:59 MST (UTC-7)|
|Winners notified||9 May 2021|
|Winners announced||16 May 2021|
|9th Space Generation Fusion Forum||21-23 August 2021|
|36th Space Symposium||23-26 August 2021|
For any questions regarding the Global Grants Programme or SGFF 2021 application form:
Email: SGFF 2021 Delegates Team – [email protected]
Copy: Maria Grulich & Michael Kretzenbacher, Scholarship Coordinators – [email protected]
2020 [News Release]
- Davide Petrillo – Italy
- Swetha Kotichintala – India
- Kelsey Doerksen – Canada
- Mina Takla – Egypt
- William Crowe – Australia
2019 [News Release]
- Hamed Gamal – Egypt
- Ksenia Lisitsyna – Russia
- Natalia Indira Vargas Cuentas – Bolivia
- Viha Parekh – India/Australia
- Camilo Andrés Reyes – Colombia
2018 [News Release]
- Mittal – Nepal
- Chiara Cocchiara – Italy
- João Lousada – Portugal
- Genaro Grajeda – México
- Conor MacDonald – Australia/Ireland
2017 [News Release]
- Danton Balzuda – Mexico
- Jessica Todd – Australia
- Temidayo Isaiah Oniosun – Nigeria
- Harriet Brettle – UK
2016 [News Release]
- Adam Vigneron – Canada
- Ana Raposo – Portugal
- Danielle DeLatte – USA
- Siddharth Pandey – India
2015 [News Release]
- Martin Losekamm – Germany
- Etim Offiong – Nigeria
- Jan Svoboda – Czech Republic
- Anja Nakarada Pecujlic – Serbia
2014 [News Release]
- Sebastian Kleim – Germany
- Jack Yeh – New Zealand
- Sandra Cabrera Alvarado – Mexico
- Ali Butt – Pakistan
- Bezaye Hailu – Ethiopia
2013 [News Release]
- Alanna Krolikowski – Canada
- Pascal Renten – Germany
- Yusuke Muraki – Japan
- Vu Trong Thu – Vietnam
- Ross Findlay – UK
- Joyeeta Chatterjee – India
2012 [News Release]
- Ahmad S. Hakimyar – Afghanistan
- Ana Alexandra Pérez – Venezuela
- Artiom Anisimov – Belarus
- Bekele Tujuba – Ethiopia
- Bustanul Arifin – Indonesia
- Diego Urbina – Colombia/Italy
- Emmanuelle David – France
- Heejin Jeong – South Korea
- Julia Leeson – Australia
- Laura Drudi – Canada
- Minoo Rathnasabapathy – South Africa
- Rahul Goel – India