SGAC – Avascent Scholarship 5th E-SGW in Madrid, Spain
SGAC has partnered with Avascent to bring 1 Student or Young Professional to attend the 5th European Space Generation Workshop (May 8-9) in Madrid, Spain.
Application deadline: 25th of March 2020, 23:59 GMT
The 5th ESGW
Following London, Budapest, Paris, and Bucharest, the 5th edition of the European Space Generation Workshop, gathering young professionals and students working in the space sector, will take place in Madrid, Spain on May 8th and 9th 2020.
The two-day regional event will bring together Bachelor’s, Master’s and Doctoral degree candidates, young professionals, experts, academia, space agencies and industry representatives to network, exchange know-how, share best practices and nurture the next generation’s perspective on space matters. During the time spent in Madrid, delegates will get the opportunity to share ideas on sustainable space applications, a topic in which interest has substantially increased over the past few years. There will be talks and panels by experts and professionals from the leading European companies and agencies, and working groups where the participants will discuss about diverse space topics moderated by industry experts.
Avascent is the preeminent strategy and management consulting firm serving clients in aerospace, defense, and government-driven markets. With over three decades of experience and over 100 professionals headquartered in Washington, DC, with offices in London, Paris, Ottawa, and Tokyo, Avascent provides in-depth research, analysis, and recommendations for global leaders in aerospace, defense, and technology, providing clients with the expertise they need to succeed.
Avascent’s space industry team brings decades of experience supporting clients in the satellite communications & earth observation, manufacturing, and launch markets, combining deep industry relationships and the most comprehensive launch and space payload database available.
To find out more about Avascent, visit: https://www.avascent.com
The total value of the award is EUR 450, which can be put towards any of the following expenses:
- 5th European Space Generation Workshop (8th-9th of May) Registrain
- Travel, lodging or visa costs associated with the above event
How to Apply
To apply, please submit your complete application using the Scholarship Submission Form.
To apply, you will need to prepare the following documents:
- A CV of up to 2 pages
- Motivation letter up to 1 page
Please submit your documents as unlocked PDF files. Your name should be included at the top of all pages. Your submission should follow the competition guidelines below.
Please note: you need to apply to be a delegate at the 5th E-SGW as well. More info here.
- The language of all submissions must be in English.
- The competition is open to all students and young professionals from any country.
- All individuals or team members shall be SGAC members between the ages of 18 to 35 inclusive (up to the day of their 36th birthday) on the 10th of May 2020.
- Applicants must have applied to be a delegate for the 5th E-SGW.
- Competition organisers and judges are not eligible for this award.
- The winner shall not receive support from any other source to attend the E-SGW. Should the winner receive such support midway through the program, SGAC shall be informed and a solution will be sought.
- The language of all submissions must be English.
- All submissions must be made by the 25th of March 2020, 23:59 GMT. Any submissions after the deadline will not be considered.
- In case of lack of quality of submissions, SGAC has the right to extend and or cancel the competition.
Responsibilities of the Winners
The winning author shall:
- Attend the entire 5th E-SGW
- Support the running of the 5th E-SGW. These tasks offer great opportunities such as being the rapporteur of a 5th E-SGW working group and helping with writing a group report.
- Submit a short report (1 page excluding pictures) and a short video (1 minute) describing his or her experience at the 5th E-SGW for inclusion on the SGAC website, newsletter or social media and that of our partners. The report and video shall describe the experience of the winner at the 5th E-SGW. For example, speakers that were particularly interesting, group discussions that stood out or other event highlights.
- All responsibilities shall be fulfilled and reports etc. submitted not later than 1st of September 2020. In case the scholarship awardee(s) do(es) not complete the scholarship requirements on time, the scholarship funds will be transferred to SGAC general budget to continue supporting the mission and work of SGAC.
- The award will be paid out after the 5th E-SGW, no later than 30 days after fulfilment of all responsibilities listed above.
- The scholarship award reimbursement is conditioned on the awardee fulfilling the scholarship requirements not later than 1st of September 2020.
- In case applicants or the winning author receive funding for the 5th E-SGW by any other organisation, the Scholarships Coordinators shall be informed. If the applicants don’t inform the Scholarships Coordinators, SGAC holds the right to not reimburse the winning author. SGAC aims to reduce the number of double scholarships and will work with the winners to develop a solution in these cases.
- Applicants are advised to not engage any expenses until they have formal confirmation that the competition has been awarded. The SGAC is not liable for any expenses incurred by applicants in any case where a competition is not awarded, or in excess of the value of the awarded grant.
- Reimbursements will follow the SGAC Scholarships Travel Policy & Reimbursement Guidelines. Please make sure to consult the Guidelines before incurring in expenses.
Copyright and Intellectual Property
- By submitting an entry, applicants agree to permit SGAC and all affiliated organisers to mention their names, affiliations and headshot picture in connection with the competition.
- Copyright of the submitted entry shall remain with the contestants. However, by submitting an entry all contestants agree that SGAC and all affiliated organisers are granted non-exclusive reproduction rights regarding all submitted papers. SGAC and all affiliated organisers may also present ideas and findings generated by this competition at relevant conferences.
- Organisers shall not be responsible in the event that 5th E-SGW is cancelled. SGAC will not reimburse the winning author, even if he/she has already incurred expenses.
- Organisers shall not be responsible in the event that the award winner fails to attend the 5th E-SGW or is unable to under extenuating circumstances; in that case the award offer shall become void.
- Organisers shall not be responsible in the event that the award winner cannot obtain any necessary travel documents; if they are required but not obtained, the award offer shall become void.
Evaluators will include members of the SGAC scholarship team and representatives of the scholarship supporter.
The overall evaluation will consider:
- Applicant background – CV (30%)
- Applicant motivation – Motivation Letter (70%)
1st of March 2020
25th of March 2020, 23:59 GMT
6th of April 2020
8th-9th May 2020
For any questions, please refer to SGAC Scholarships Coordinators ([email protected]).