SGAC4STE(A)M Photography Grant
Are you a professional space enthusiastic photographer or a passionate hobby photographer? Yes? Then this scholarship is for you!
SGAC is looking for an Event Photographer to capture the activities during the 9th Space Generation Fusion Forum (August 21 – 23). The successful applicant will be able to attend the SGFF 2021 and will be granted free access to the 36th Space Symposium (August 23 – 26) in Colorado Springs, USA.
Application Deadline: 23rd of May
SGFF is held annually in scenic Colorado Springs in conjunction with the Space Symposium, the Space Generation Fusion Forum is a three-day, high-intensity, fast-paced professional development and networking event focused on the international and US space industry. Delegates are students and young professionals from around the world and various facets of the space sector including science, engineering, law/policy, business/commerce, medicine, media, military, and government. Through discussion tracks, expert panels, keynote presentations, and interactive activities, these selected delegates will “fuse” their perspectives.
By attending the Space Generation Fusion Forum, delegates will learn, share their knowledge, network with fellow students and young professionals in the space industry, and meet the industry’s leaders and experts.
All output produced by the Space Generation Fusion Forum is compiled into a report to be presented at the United Nations Committee on the Peaceful Uses of Outer Space, as well as other conferences around the World.
Purpose/Goal of this Scholarship
The goal of this scholarship is to offer a space passionate (hobby) photographer to capture the SGFF and giving him/her the chance to attend the 36th Space Symposium (August 23 – 26) in Colorado Springs, USA. We would like to promote media and art.
The applicants have to have their own photographer equipment and a portfolio with at least 10 pictures from events. Pictures from another SGAC event can be found here as an example: https://www.flickr.com/photos/spacegeneration/sets/72157711557909287/
The award is:
- A scholarship to help cover the costs incurred to attend the Space Generation Fusion Forum, on 21 – 23 August 2021
- A free entry ticket to attend the 36th Space Symposium, on 23 – 26 August 2020.
The award will be used to cover the expenses up to a maximum amount of USD 2,000 incurred to attend SGFF and the 36th Space Symposium (round trip travel via airfare, accommodations, visa costs, and the registration fees according to the reimbursement policy).
How to Apply
To apply, you will need to prepare the following documents:
- Your CV (maximum 2 pages)
- Your portfolio,
- Short Essay (Max 300 words) on “How you plan to enhance the visibility of the event through your work”
All submissions must be made by using the Scholarship Submission form on the bottom of the page
Please submit your documents as unlocked PDF files and a link to your portfolio . Your name should be included at the top of all pages.
Your submission should follow the competition guidelines below.
- Participants must be eligible SGAC members (registered on the SGAC website) between the ages of 18 and 35 years as of the 2nd of April, 2020.
- Participants must be amateur or professional photographers with good quality photography and editing skills
- Participants must be able to travel with their photography equipment
- Participants must not have received this scholarship before
- Competition judges and organisers are ineligible for the award.
- Winners should not receive support from any other source to the event. Should the winners receive such support midway through the program, SGAC shall be informed and a solution will be sought
In the interest of spreading opportunities to more members, SGAC reserves the right to prioritise applicants who have not recently received another SGAC scholarship of a similar nature. “Recently” is defined as having received a travel grant in the past 2 years, in the same category (either international or regional/national) as this posted award. International awards include scholarships for international events such as SGC/IAC, SGFF and Space Symposium, while regional/national awards refer to events, such as the Space Generation Workshops (SGW), national space generation events (SG[country]) or other regional or national conferences. In the event that the SGFF 2021 is forced to be held online due to the COVID-19 pandemic, this scholarship will not be counted as an international travel grant, and winners are eligible to apply for another travel grant in the next 2 years.
It is strongly requested that applicants only apply if they are certain they can attend the SGFF and be in the United States at the time of the event in August.
- The language of all submissions must be English.
- All submissions must be made by the 23rd of May 2021, 23:59 GMT. Any submissions after the deadline will not be considered.
Responsibilities of the Winners
The winner shall:
- Travel with their own photography equipment
- Attend the entire SGFF 2021
- Support the running of SGFF 2021 by:
- Providing the following works (hereinafter “the works”):
- Taking pictures of panels, sponsors, breakout sessions, group photos, networking events;
- Shooting an event video to be edited and delivered after the event
- Providing the following works (hereinafter “the works”):
- Coordinating daily with SGFF & Global SGAC PR&Comms Teams to release highlight pictures of the day
- Providing the works by September 30th 2021
- After the event, submit a short report (2 pages excluding pictures) and a short video (1 minute) describing his or her experience at SGFF 2021 and the 36th space symposium for inclusion on the SGAC website, newsletter or social media and that of our partners
- All responsibilities shall be fulfilled and reports etc. submitted not later than September 30th 2021. In case the scholarship awardee(s) do(es) not complete the scholarship requirements on time, the scholarship funds will be transferred to SGAC general budget to continue supporting the mission and work of SGAC.
All responsibilities shall be fulfilled no later than September 30th 2021
- The award will be paid out after the SGFF 2021 and the 36th Space Symposium, no later than 30 days after fulfilment of all responsibilities listed above.
- The scholarship award reimbursement is conditioned on the awardee fulfilling the scholarship requirements not later than September 30th 2020.
- In case the winner receives funding for SGFF or Space Symposium by any other organisation, the Scholarships Coordinators shall be informed. If the applicants don’t inform the Scholarships Coordinators, SGAC holds the right to not reimburse the winning author. SGAC aims to reduce the number of double scholarships and will work with the winners to develop a solution in these cases.
- Applicants are advised to not engage in any expenses until they have formal confirmation that the competition has been awarded. The SGAC is not liable for any expenses incurred by applicants in any case where competition is not awarded, or in excess of the value of the awarded grant.
- Reimbursements will follow the SGAC Scholarships Travel Policy and Reimbursement Guidelines. Please make sure to consult the Guidelines before incurring expenses.
The Photographer shall remain the owner of its works and all related Intellectual Property Rights. It is expressly agreed between the Parties that no title or ownership with regard to the photographer works and all related Intellectual Property Rights and Know-how shall be transferred to the other Party as a result of the present document.
The Photographer shall grant to the SGAC a free of charge, non-exclusive, non-transferable license and worldwide license over the work. This license shall consist in right to use, reproduce and copy the work owned by the Photographer, for the duration of its corresponding Intellectual Property Right protection.
For the purpose of this section “Intellectual Property Rights” shall mean are any and all intellectual property rights, including all of the following and all rights in, arising out of, or associated therewith:
- procedures, designs, inventions, discoveries, and all Patents issued or issuable thereon;
- works of authorship, copyrights and other rights in works of authorship;
- mask work rights, but excluding trademarks, trade names, or other forms of corporate or product identification.
- Organisers shall not be responsible in the event that SGFF 2021 and/or the 36th Space Symposium are cancelled. SGAC will not reimburse the winning author, even if he/she has already incurred expenses.
- Organisers shall not be responsible in the event that the award winner fails to attend SGFF 2021 and/or the 36th Space Symposium or is unable to under extenuating circumstances; in that case, the award offer shall become void.
- Organisers shall not be responsible in the event that the award winner cannot obtain any necessary travel documents; if they are required but not obtained, the award offer shall become void.
- The award is not transferable to another event or individual.
Applications will be evaluated by a panel comprised of the SGFF Manager and a representative from the SGAC PR & Comm Team. The evaluation will be made based on the following criteria:
- Portfolio (50%)
- Applicant’s CV and past experiences (30%)
- Essay (20%)
We look forward to your contribution and thank you for taking part in this space endeavour!
|Entries accepted:||28th of April 2021|
|Submission Deadline:||23rd of May 2021, 23:59 GMT|
|Application evaluation||May 23 – June 7, 2021|
|Announcement of Results:||7th of June 2021|
|9th Space Generation Fusion Forum:||August 21 – 23 2021|
|36th Space Symposium:||August 23 – 26 2021|
For any questions, please refer to SGAC Scholarships Team ([email protected]).