The Space Generation Advisory Council (SGAC) is beginning preparations for the 2024 12th Space Generation Fusion Forum (SGFF) to be held in Colorado Springs, CO – USA on April 6 – 8. The organization is seeking a professionally qualified young space leader to join the SGAC as the SGFF 2024 Deputy Manager.
Deadline for applications: Extended 13 August, 2023
The 2024 12th Space Generation Fusion Forum will take place in Colorado Springs, CO – USA on April 6-8, 2024 in conjunction with the 39th Space Symposium hosted by the Space Foundation. SGAC is expanding, and the organization is looking for a professionally qualified young space leader to join SGAC as the Deputy Manager for next year’s SGFF. The Deputy Manager will work alongside the SGFF 2024 Deputy Manager, Madison Telles (United States), and the SGFF 2024 Organizing Team, to become Manager in 2025.
SGFF 2024 Responsibilities
The SGFF 2024 Deputy Manager will work together with the SGFF 2024 Manager in preparation of the logistics and overall management of the Space Generation Fusion Forum 2024. Activities include:
- Assist the SGFF Manager in evaluating applications and selecting the SGFF 2024 organizing team
- Support and lead team meetings as delegated by the SGFF Manager; assume Manager responsibilities as delegated if the SGFF Manager is unavailable
- Assist the SGFF Manager in oversight of the organizing team, including recruitment, training, and delegating tasks
- Assist in the event decision making and management
- Help foster relationships with companies and organizations for potential sponsorship collaborations
- Help identify opportunities for outreach, engagement, and partnerships with other organizations and companies to increase participation and visibility of SGFF
- Create and maintain reports, schedules, budgets, and other documents as directed by the SGFF Manager and in collaboration with the SGFF organizing team, when appropriate
- Review lessons learned from previous SGFF events to identify areas of improvement
- Note challenges encountered and best practices for future SGFF events
The SGFF Deputy Manager will report to the SGFF Manager and work closely with the SGAC Executive Director and SGAC Chairs. Upon successful performance on this role and recommendation of the SGAC Co-Chairs, the SGFF 2024 Deputy Manager may be promoted to the 2025 SGFF Manager at the conclusion of the 2024 event, and will be mentored and provided with support by the outgoing manager, as well as the Executive Director and Chairs.
Estimated time commitment
Approximately 10 hours/week on average (may increase closer to the event) + 3 days of the SGFF 2023 in Colorado Springs, CO – USA. Availability to be present for the duration of the 38th Space Symposium (6-8 April 2024) is also a requirement. It is highly desired that the Deputy Manager is able to arrive one day early for setup and other SGFF preparation activities.
Note: This is an unpaid volunteer position.
- SGAC membership: registration on the SGAC website and between 18 and 35 years old (inclusive) by the end of SGFF 2025 and Space Symposium 2025. The age limit is calculated from the 18th birthday to the 36th birthday of the applicant.
- Ability to work in a fast paced, quick turnaround international environment and meet deadlines without compromising the quality of work
- Experience/familiarity with the space sector within the USA and internationally
- Teamwork capacity and proven leadership skills
- Strong or competent working knowledge of computer applications and management apps (Microsoft Office Suite, Adobe Suite, Slack, Asana, Google Apps)
- Professional Fluency (Speaking, Reading, and Writing) in English
- Cross Cultural and Communication Awareness: Ability to establish and maintain professional working relationships with people from various international, cultural, and professional/academic backgrounds
- Previous event management experience is highly desirable
- Experience with SGAC events is highly desirable
- Web & Social Media skills are a plus
The successful applicant will receive the following:
- One (1) complimentary registration for the 12th SGFF
- One (1) complimentary registration for the 39th Space Symposium
- One (1) ticket to the Space Technology Hall of Fame Award Dinner at the 39th Space Symposium
Partial compensation for flights and accommodation for SGFF 2024 and SGFF 2025 in the form of an SGAC travel grant
Note: This role is voluntary and unpaid. SGAC is not able to provide any additional financial assistance for travel, accommodation, and other expenses incurred beyond what is noted in the Travel Policy. If the volunteer is unable to attend, none of the above mentioned benefits are transferable or redeemable for their retail value.
SGAC is a unique, non-governmental, non-profit organization that empowers its student and young professional members to engage directly with the international space community and influence the future of the space industry. As the SGFF Deputy Manager, you will have direct contact with many top industry leaders, today’s next generation of space industry leaders, and opportunities to expand and learn a valuable set of skills in leadership, team management, communications, and event planning. All outputs from the Space Generation Fusion Forum are presented to the United Nations Committee on the Peaceful Uses of Outer Space (UN COPUOS) at its annual general assembly meeting.
How to Apply
To apply for this position, please complete our Vacancy Application Form by Extended 13th of August 2023 with the following documents as attachments:
- Resume (limit 2 pages)
- Letter of Intent, detailing your suitability and motivation for the role (limit 1 page)
- Examples of 3 past experiences relevant to the position and how they have prepared you for this role
Only complete applications will be considered.
Timeline for applications
|13 August, 2023 23:59 GMT (17:59 MST)
|Online Interviews for Select Pool of Applicants:
|Early August 2023
|Announcement of Successful Applicant:
|Late August 2023
More information about the Space Generation Fusion Forum
The Space Generation Fusion Forum (SGFF) is an affiliated event of the Space Symposium, hosted annually by the Space Foundation in Colorado Springs, USA. The high-intensity, two-day networking and professional development event exposes delegates to a range of current and relevant space topics, providing opportunities to discuss important issues in the space industry, interacting with other students and young professionals, meeting and engaging with top-level space industry experts, and providing input that is presented to the United Nations Committee on the Peaceful Uses of Outer Space. The formatting of the SGFF includes keynote presentations, industry expert panel discussions, interactive sessions for delegates, and participation in the New Gen track at the Space Symposium.
For more information, please check the SGFF 2023 webpage