SGAC Pioneer awardees are:
- SGAC members (with a registered account on our website) who care about the SGAC mission and vision, aged below 36 years and 6 months on the nomination date
- SGAC members with a track history of contributions to SGAC, along with their most recent role(s)
- SGAC members who reflect the values of the award – Creativity, Innovation, Empowerment, Moving the organisation forward
Number of Awards
- An awardee may receive the award only once
- Not more than four awards are conferred each year
The intent of the Pioneer Award is to provide additional recognition to members who represent the organization’ ‘best of the best’ for their professional development.
The award is presented to an SGAC member that:
- Demonstrates ongoing support and genuine care for promoting the organisation,
- Is actively involved in SGAC volunteering roles, supporting space events and activities, empowering young space professionals and students in pursuing their space career development.
- The history of the person’s contribution to SGAC should be considered, along with their most recent role(s).
- The award should never be given for pure completion of a particular role or project – rather for the attributes displayed in the person’s work that reflect the values of the award such as creativity, innovation, moving the organization forward etc..
- The award shall never be given to a current or former SGAC Chair or Paid Staff – the intent is to recognize members. Members who are running for Chair or in the process of applying for a paid position are eligible until they are elected or appointed to Chair/Paid Staff.
- Members are eligible for the award up to 6 months after they age out of the organization and become alumni (allows for someone to be eligible for consideration if they achieved accomplishments right before they aged out).
Nomination and Selection Rules
The nomination is encouraged for the wider SGAC community.
The Jury Panel is formed of 7 members:
- SGAC Executive Director (1)
- SGAC Co-Chairs (2)
- SGAC Executive Committee representatives (4)
The Jury Panel evaluates and selects the winner, providing rationales for the choices based on the independent assessment process of each nomination.
1 February – 15 March: Call for nominations is open
15 February – 15 March: Call for 4 judges
16 March – 30 March: Nominees are contacted for additional information
1 April – 14 April: Evaluation period
15 April: Announcement and notice to the awardee
30 April: Announcement is published on the SGAC website and on social media
Autumn / Winter
1 September – 15 October: Call for nominations is open
15 September – 15 October: Call for judges
16 October – 30 October: Nominees are contacted for additional information
1 November – 14 November: Evaluation period
15 November: Announcement and notice to the awardee
30 November: Announcement is published on the SGAC website and on social media